There are many different struggles a parent deals with on a daily basis, especially if you have teenagers. Dealing with teenage stresses and the things they go through can be a challenge. Not every parent knows everything teenager is dealing with unless there is constant communication; sometimes a difficult thing to accomplish. All we can do in the beginning is try to cover all basics of growing up and try to lead them in the correct path.
As a parent you have to utilize a wide variety of problem solving skills in order to deal with the problems your children are facing, especially if you have more than one teenager. It can be difficult and push you beyond your limits. There are much more resources available than there used to be. The goal of this article is to show you ways to cope and help in each situation. Below are 10 tips, questions, and/or action items that will help you as a parent deal with or mitigate teenage stress.
- Do you know where your child is all the time and their schedule of their activities?
- Do you know your child’s friends. What are their parents names, phone numbers, and where they live?
- Do you have a locator application installed on you and your child’s phone in order to locate them when they don’t answer?
- Do you talk to your child every day to see how they are doing and what their day was like?
- Do you see what they are doing on their computer and phone and what websites they are on?
- Observe your child for changes in behavior that are abnormal or out of the ordinary.
- Spend time with your child and do things with them. Play a game, shopping, movie or go out to eat.
- Find out what they like to do and after school activities they like or want to join.
- Ask them if they need anything or if you can do anything to help them.
- Be a parent and a friend for they may need both. Be understanding that they have issues, stress, and everyday problems too.
Your teenagers will have problems that they must deal with. Don’t take it for granted that they don’t. If you see your child is having a bad day, you can follow the tips mentioned earlier. But, the most important thing you can do is LISTEN.