I know you’ve seen it. The person at work who always seems to be nodding off and never paying attention to anything that is going on around him or her. This is largely due to sleep deprivation. I know you have a busy life, you still have things you need and/or want to accomplish that cause you to burn the midnight oil. You have work that carries over to your home life, you have kids, your taking online college classes, trying to run a business in your spare time through a website or blog, or several other things that consume your time, energy, and sleep at night.
Sleep is important and thinking you can “get by” on only 4-5 hours of it is crazy. Sure you might be able to stay awake throughout the day but you are not going to have the energy, drive, and focus to intentionally be in the moment and perform at your optimal capability. You need to be at your peak performance every single day, especially if your decisions could affect the lives of others.
Below are some tips to help you manage you sleep a little better
- Find the right time to cut off any work related or high energy tasks so that you can unwind. Recommend at least an hour before you go to bed
- Get plenty of exercise. Conduct workouts early enough so that you are not wired before trying to go to sleep
- Avoid caffeinated drinks, especially late at night
- Try aromatherapy to assist in going to sleep
- Listen to some relaxing music
- Read a book while in bed
- Eat well balanced meals
- Drink water only
These action items are easy to implement and even easier to accomplish. Try one or all of them and see which one(s) work best for you. Once you are able to get a good night’s rest without waking up several times a night you will notice that you feel much better to include having the energy to stay focused throughout your day.