You are busy. You have deadlines you have to meet at work causing you to work late nights or even holidays, weekends, skipped vacations. Even when you are at home or out and about with your family you are thinking about work instead of being there in the moment with your family. Believe me when I say that your family will notice that you are distant and you will only get further and further away from them if you don’t stop what you are doing and take time to enjoy your family.
Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF), your family is your number one obligation. When you take the time to invest in your family, you will be able to focus on the other things in your life that is tugging at your time, energy, and resources. No matter how busy or hectic your life may be, your family is important, and you must dedicate time to be spent with them outside of any other obligations you may have in life. Opportunities may come and go, but if you don’t take care of your family you will lose them faster than any opportunity. Finally, it’s not about carving out time in your day to check the block and say you spent time with them. Really spend time with them by involving them in fun, family activities that generate lasting memories of time well spent together and bring the focus back on the family.
Below are some activities to enjoy during family time
- Family game night – Play all your favorite family games to include UNO, Monopoly, Trouble, Life, Jenga, etc . . .
- Prom night with the family – It will be fun to dress up, listen to some music, and swap dances with the kids
- Karaoke night – What can be more fun than a good night of singing your favorite songs or even children’s songs
- Little chef night in which your kids get to cook a meal while you observe and assist as needed
- Story night in which every family member gets to read something or pass a book around after each paragraph
- Family bike ride through the park and then stop at the playground for a good swing or game of chase
- Movie night in which you let your kids pick which movie(s) to watch and enjoy some popcorn or a healthy snack
- Arts & Crafts with the family – Draw a family tree with hands as the trees, Christmas tree drawing contest, or any other event in which something is created
When you differentiate work time, fun time, and family time you will be more present in the moment and be able to focus more clearly on the importance of each. Sure, there is time for all three, but don’t mix/match them as work and play often times do not go well together and they family is the one that suffers most. If you take the time the dedicate yourself in the moment with some or all of the activities highlighted in this article you will find that family time is much more enjoyable and once you do have to focus on work you will be able to do so without the guilty feeling of neglecting your family.